Thursday, March 28, 2013

Next to my wife I like my chainsaw ..and ...best

Did you know that burnt hair and burnt skin smell different ? Until I was welding up higher than my head in the shed yesterday . I have to say I had forgotten . Either that,  or,  in all my joyous years at the end of the sticking stick,  I had never got quite so close to setting myself on fire as I did yesterday.
I could blame my lack of awareness on my girlfriends at the time . None of them commented as they stroked through my hair ( ha ha) . "You have got a hole in your head Modi" ( explains a lot -you say? ) . For those of you that don't know,  red hot metal lumps spatter off the stick area and burns their way into anything they land on .Find them all over other metal melted in.  The current helmet doesn't help cause it doesn't have a hood on it - Perhaps that new helmet is the reason and am not losing my mind after all .What do you think?
The reason I posted this is because I enjoyed the idea that I was again,  after 20 years , wearing my old favourite work gear and doing one of those jobs I like doing best - welding . My brothers used one of these red T shirts that I used to always wear" up to the bush "as we would say ( 30 % of the farm was still timbered) in a skit at our wedding.
You can't see it on the photograph,  but the red T shirt is full of holes on the front - burnt holes from red hot metal, They don't make T shirts like they used to!
I went to a birthday party that night and a beautiful chick and I shared our burning experiences.  She had just that morning ( 7 am ) been on the CFA crew mopping up after the bushfire at Dereel. Everyone could tell we had been somewhere strange - our hair smelt like smoke.  

No comments:

Post a Comment